Websites for Parents and Caregivers
Children, as we know, go through many ages and stages, each with their own joys and challenges. Parents have their own strengths and challenges too. Here are some tips and resources for dealing with short- and longer-term stages and situations.
WEBSITES FOR PARENTS AND CAREGIVERS
- Where to Find Help – Childhelp® is a national organization that provides crisis assistance and other counseling and referral services. The Childhelp® National Child Abuse Hotline.The hotline is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, with professional crisis counselors who have access to a database of 55,000 emergency, social service, and support resources. See more resources for help in this Child Welfare Information Gateway site.
- American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry – assists parents and families in understanding -developmental, behavioral, emotional, and mental disorders affecting children and adolescents. This web page is written in English and Spanish.
- Center for Effective Discipline – provides information on the effects of corporal punishment of children and alternatives to its use.
- Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network – provides legal information for low-income individuals. Consumer (debt collection, bankruptcy and others), Children and Families (custody, marriage, divorce, domestic violence and others) and Employment (unemployment, issues for ex-offenders, and others) are included.
- The Temple University Collaborative on Community Inclusion of Individuals with Psychiatric Disabilities – offers a wealth of information for people with psychiatric disabilities, including resources on parenting, advance psychiatric directives, and custody issues.
- The National Resource Center on Children and Families of the Incarcerated – provides information on research surrounding children of incarcerated parents, fact sheets for mentors, community members and professionals and tip sheets for parents.
- The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia Vaccine Education Center – Learn about specific vaccines and the diseases they prevent.
- PA School Immunization Requirements – What vaccines should your child have to be ready for school? Find out here.
- PA Department of Conservation and Natural Resources – Get active! Find a park and outdoor family fun.
- Choose My Plate – offers meal plans, tips for eating healthy on a budget, nutrition education and more.
- Pennsylvania’s Promise for Children – Get help choosing quality child care.
- Families and Work Institute – is a national organization that fosters mutually supportive connections between workplaces, families, and communities.